In late March, a pair of National Trial Lawyers members dispersed two separate settlements arising from a single workplace incident to clients of Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P. The settlements stem from a workplace incident at a demolition site in 2013 in which two workers were injured by falling concrete, and totaled $8.1 million, and $400,000, respectively.
The underlying incident for the lawsuits, which court records indicate were consolidated before a single Judge in Cook County Circuit Court (O’Reilly v. Deerfield Construction Co., et al.), occurred on December 26, 2013, when two men had been removing a portion of exterior wall for a new restaurant at what was then the Westfield Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills.
While performing their job, pieces of concrete from the roof fell onto the workers. One of the men was struck and fatally injured by the falling debris. The other worker suffered several injuries, including a head injury, bursitis of the right elbow, and tricep tendon tear.
In the lawsuit, Power Rogers & Smith attorneys claimed several parties involved in the project were negligent, including the general contractor (Deerfield), Westfield and Westfield Property Management, the project owner (Brinker Restaurant Corp.), and the demolition subcontractor. The attorneys worked closely with a real estate and shopping center expert to determine the scope of industry standards and practice relating to the defendants’ project and responsibilities during development and construction.
Attorney James A. Power Jr. said the incident could have been prevented had the defendants completed an OSHA and project manual-mandated engineering survey before work was performed on the building.
In their defense, defendants argued a pre-demolition inspection was performed prior to the work, and that it was sufficient.
Ultimately, Attorneys James A. Power Jr., National Trial Lawyers member Sean M. Houlihan, and National Trial Lawyers member James I. Power were able to secure two significant settlements on behalf of their clients:
- An $8.1 million wrongful death settlement for the estate and family of the 25-year-old man tragically killed in the incident; and
- A $400,000 settlement on behalf of the second worker who suffered multiple injuries.
The claims, settled in February and finalized in March, are a reminder of the dangers workers face on demolition and construction sites, as well as the need for employers, property owners, and those working on such projects to take the necessary steps to protect them from preventable harm. Commenting on the resolution, Attorney Power said:
“We are satisfied to have negotiated these settlements for our clients, and to send a message that worker safety should always be a priority. You never think about the dangers your children are exposed to when they do this type of work.”
The case, 14 L 9677 consolidated with 14 L 9692, was filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois County Department.