A: The National Trial Lawyers is a member-driven organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from across the country who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers. Through educational and networking opportunities, we strive to help our members build law practices which encompass superior knowledge, skill, experience and success.
A: Only the top 100 trial lawyers from each state or highly-populated regions of certain states who are actively practicing in civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense law are eligible for invitation. Invitees must demonstrate superior qualifications, leadership skills, and trial results as a legal professional. The selection process for this elite honor is based on a multi-phase process based upon objective and uniformly applied criteria which includes peer nominations combined with third party research.
Prospective members of The NTL are carefully screened prior to receiving an invitation for membership. The criteria used in the evaluation process include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reputation among peers, the judiciary, and the public
- The previous year’s achievements, settlements and verdicts as a trial lawyer
- Board Certification as a trial lawyer or trial attorney
- Nominations received from leading trial lawyers, current members and/or our executive committee members
- Leadership and membership within other national and state trial lawyer organizations
- Rankings and ratings of the attorney by established organizations.
Membership is not automatically renewed; attorneys are reevaluated annually to determine whether their activities and accomplishments qualify them for continued membership.
A: The National Trial Lawyers is a professional and business organization designed to promote excellence for modern day trial lawyers through professional development, education and networking. The NTL offers valuable business, case referral and networking opportunities through meetings, seminars, legal publications, and other relevant membership services it offers.
Members of The NTL will also be featured on The National Trial Lawyers website in its 50-state member directory. This directory serves as a useful networking, referral, and public relations tool for our members and the public. Our member profiles include a personal biography, CV, photograph, contact information and links to his or her firm’s website.
Members also receive:
- A complimentary one-year subscription to The Trial Lawyer magazine
- The potential to have cases referred to you through The National Trial Lawyers
- Acknowledgement of your achievement by having your biography and firm name displayed on The National Trial Lawyers website
- Access to our website’s blog feature, where we encourage contributions
- A distinguished plaque, certificate, desk recognition or digital product available for purchase, denoting your accomplishment as a Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40 Lawyer
- Invitations to all events hosted by The National Trial Lawyers
A: To accept an invitation into The NTL, please fill out and return the enclosed membership sheet that you receive in the mail, along with payment of your annual membership dues.
A: Additional questions may be directed to The NTL’s main office at
1-866-665-2852. You may also email us.
A: Yes, but you must have proof of substantial practice in both areas, and you’ll need to pay annual dues for both civil plaintiff and criminal defense memberships.
A: If you would like to use our logo on your website, please email us for the Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40. All logos and graphics used on your website must be up-to-date and must link back to our website in some manner, whether it is to our homepage or to your membership page within our attorney directory.
A: The National Trial Lawyers is committed to helping our members become the strongest litigators in the country in all areas of practice. As a result, The National Trial Lawyers now offers memberships in its Specialty Associations. These Specialty Associations by The National Trial Lawyers cover almost every area of litigation and offer educational, case referral and networking opportunities.
A: Information about Specialty Associations by The National Trial Lawyers can be found in the Specialty Association section of The National Trial Lawyers website. You can find it by clicking on “NTL Groups” on the top navigation bar of our website, then clicking on “Specialty Associations,” or you may call us at 1-866-665-2852.